Monday, July 26, 2010

Boudoir Photography




We have been blessed to get to know photographer Emily Tishhouse, owner of Emily Kay Photography, over the past couple months.  She is an outgoing, hard working, driven lady, and one of the many services she offers is boudoir photography.  What a great idea for a girls night out or a bachelorette party!!!  After several conversations and a tour of her studio, I was interested and had some questions.  Emily shares her answers here, on our blog:

What is boudoir photography?

Boudoir photography can be interpreted in many different ways. For some, it is fun and flirty, and for others it is moody and sensual. It can be high fashion or old-fashioned pin-up. A lot of people think you have to get half naked and wear lingerie for boudoir photos, but that isn’t necessarily the case. You can wear a sassy dress with your favorite heels, or opt for cute pin-up photos in your hubby’s dress shirt and tie. It really depends on your personality and what kind of look you are going for. One thing that is uniform is the way it makes a woman feel empowered and beautiful no matter their shape or size! My goal is for you to leave feeling gorgeous and confident about your body and yourself as a person!



How did you get started doing boudoir photography?

Last year I got an email from a woman who was looking for boudoir photos as a gift for her husband-to-be, and that got me wondering how many other women in my state were looking for the same kind of thing. I did some research and found that the demand was high, and there were very few studios in the area that were specializing in boudoir photography. I did a few shoots with my girlfriends and realized that boudoir was something I definitely wanted to pursue! I love helping women feel gorgeous and comfortable with their bodies!

Where do the girls get their pictures taken? Do they need to bring their own lingerie or clothing items?

Boudoir Chic shoots generally take place in my home studio where I have multiple sets designed specifically for boudoir, but I do give my clients the option of shooting in a hotel of their choice. The hotel room is not included in the cost of a session, but it can be a fun mini romantic getaway if you leave a note for your significant other to meet you at the hotel after your shoot.

I have a wardrobe with a selection of lingerie items and a collection of shoes size 6-10 for my clients to use if they wish. That being said, I do encourage my clients to bring their own items that they feel confident in so that they are guaranteed to have something that fits them very well for the shoot! Most of my clients bring 3-4 of their own outfits; that way I can help them decide which outfits they will wear with each set when they arrive.

How many people do you need to have boudoir party? Is there a maximum number of people?

The minimum number of women for a boudoir party is four and the maximum is nine. If a client organizes a party with four friends she will get her session for free, and if she organizes a party with eight friends she will also get her boudoir album for free. Boudoir parties are great for birthday parties and bachelorette parties!

How much does it cost?

My private boudoir collections range from $400 to $2,000, and each collection includes an album uniquely designed for each client. Our packages also include snacks and beverages before the shoot and a same day proofing session. Both of our high-end sessions include hair and make-up at Salon Vox in Ann Arbor. Hair and make-up can be added on to any of the other sessions for an additional cost.

The cost for Boudoir parties is $150 per person, with a minimum $150 product purchase per person. Included in the cost of the session are the following: snacks, beverages, hair and make-up, and a viewing party 2-4 weeks afterward.

How long will it be until I get my pictures back?

If you book an individual session you will see your proof images on the day of your shoot, and your fully edited images (airbrushed and ready to print) will be available for viewing two weeks later. If you have a party your proof images will be available 2-4 weeks after your session and we will schedule a date for you and your girlfriends to come in together for a viewing party.



How far in advance do I need to book?

Session must be scheduled at least one month in advance. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with me before you book, so that we can chat about your ideas and goals for the shoot and get to know one another! If you need the images for a special event, I recommend booking your session for no later than a month before the date you need the images by (it takes about a month to edit images, design the album, and have your order printed).

Will my pictures be put on a public website for everyone to see?

All of my clients sign a model release form granting me copyright and the ability to use the images for promotional purposes. HOWEVER, I never use any images without your expressed permission! All of the images on my website are of women who have granted me permission to use the specific images for promotional use. If a client decides that they do not want any of their images on the website/used for promotional purposes, then I do not use them.

How do you take your coffee?

In the summer I like my coffee iced, with cream and a bit of raw sugar. In the winter I usually opt for hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows.

Click here to view Emily's website
Call Emily at 734-335-0357
Email Emily at emily@tishhouse.com

No comments: