Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kennedy's 1st Birthday!!!

This blog post is more personal than business related...you get a peek into my life as a mother, wife, sister, and daughter and not just as the owner of Petals Planning Company.  The picture above is my daughter, Kennedy McDonald about ready to dive into her cupcake at her 1st birthday party.  She is the light of my life and I love her more every day.

The party was on June 5th, 2010 (her actual birthday is June 4th).  We were very fortunate that the rain held off all day.  The party was from 12 pm - 4 pm so we had perfect weather for set up starting at 10 am and clean-up until 6 pm.  As soon as we pulled into our neighborhood (the party was at my parents house) it started pouring - we were truly blessed to have had no rain all day!!!





The theme of this party was "princess."  I bought "princess" plates and napkins that were pink, purple, and yellow and went with it.  I bought ballons for the tables as you can see in the pictures above.  The balloons were tied to glass jars filled with starbursts, and the jars were taped down to the tablecloths in order to avoid a windy disaster.  I also put picture frames in the center of each table.  Each picture frame held a picture of Kennedy in a different time in her life, from newborn to 12 months old.  My main thought process when deciding what to do for the tables was concern for my guests.  I didn't want the tables to be too busy, and I didn't want there to be anything standing between my guests conversing with each other over lunch.  The balloons were perfect because they were high enough so they were not in the way of guests being able to see each other, and the picture frames were so low that they did not cause a problem either.

We rented a tent, table, and chairs to put up in my parents backyard in Ann Arbor.  Our tent size was 20 x 20, which can fit six 6' banquet tables, however we rented 5 tables along with 50 chairs (in hindsight, we rented way too many chairs).   



My cousin and I had our children on the same day last year, just a couple hours apart, so here is a picture of Evan and Kennedy loving on each other...they were so sweet. 

We had such a great day, full of great friends and family who made it an unforgettable 1st birthday for our sweet girl.  I thank God every day for an amazing support network.  I am so blessed.  Below is a picture of some of my supporters in life...


My sister (Trisha), My "sister" (Kate), and ME!

For those of you in Ann Arbor, here are some resources and vendors I used for the party:

Balloons - Kroger
"Princess" Plates & Napkins - Dollar Store
Cupcakes - Made my yours truly!!! :)

No comments: